A hidden paradise of Nepal, Mustang is the last forbidden kingdom of Nepal was opened for foreigners since 1992. Trekking in this region offers gorgeous Trans-Himalaya landscape, ancient Tibetan Buddhist shrines, chortens, kaanis, stupas, prayers walls, and centuries-old monasteries. You will get a chance to experience the lifestyle, culture, and tradition of the locals.
No wonder the trail will take you to one of the most isolated regions of Nepal where you can experience incredible hospitality of the locals residing in this region. You can check our professionally designed Mustang Trek Package for a joyful trip.
The trail will be full of adventure as it includes an almost treeless barren landscape, steep rocky ascends & descends, and breathtaking views of Annapurna (8,091 m), Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,167 m), and several others peaks.
Before you go on this adventurous trek you should know following things:
Difficulty level and fitness
Mustang Trek is a moderate trek. If you have proper trekking equipment, descent logistic support, and a well-planned itinerary, you will have no issues during the trek.
Every trek requires a good level of fitness, and as for Mustang Trek, an individual with regular health and fitness can easily go the trek.
This trek will take you up to the Drakmar located at an elevation of 3,810 meters from sea level.
Mustang lies in the Trans- Himalayan region of Nepal. The weather on the treks to Mustang can get quite dusty and windy during the evening or late afternoon. Moreover, the temperature also begins dropping when the sun goes down. So, trekkers are strongly recommended to dress in layers and wear windproof jacket and pants.
Mustang Trek is not that high altitude trek. The most important tip to prevent high altitude sickness is not to stay overnight more than 3,900 meters altitude. For extra safety, it is always better to take one acclimatization day after every 1000m. Also, keep yourself hydrated throughout the trek.
Electricity supply in Mustang
Electricity facility will not available most of the time in Mustang due to the high-velocity wind. Therefore charging opportunity for any of your electronic devices may not be possible all the time in Mustang. However, you will find solar charging facility which, might not be reliable all the time but it’s better to have something rather than nothing. Make sure to carry extra batteries with yourself.
Internet in Mustang
You will find internet access up to Kagbeni and Lo Manthang with small pay, and Cellular reception is mostly available along the trekking trail of Upper Mustang on a clear day. However, it is not guaranteed you will find a fine internet connection because of the unpredictable weather and isolation of the region.
- Down Sleeping Bag
- Duffel or Rucksack Bag
- Day Pack
- Down Jacket
- 2 large waterproof rucksack covers (optional)
- Flush Liner
- Trekking Poles
- Water Purification Tablets
- Sunscreen/Lip balm/Wipes/Hand Sanitiser/Toiletries
- Reusable Water Bottle or Hydration Bladder
- Sunglass with UV protection
- Head Torch
- Headband or Beanie
- Neck Gaiter or Balaclava
- Hat for Sun Protection
- Base Layer
- Trekking Shirts/T-Shirt
- Fleece Jacket or Pullover
- Insulated Jacket
- Hard Shell Jacket and Rain Gear
- Down Vest and Jacket
- Gore-Tex jacket with hood, waterproof and breathable
- Non-cotton underwear briefs
- Base Layer
- Hiking Trousers
- Hiking Pants
- Rain and Windproof Trousers
- Fleece or Wool trousers
- Waterproof Shell Pants with breathable fabric
- Lightweight poly-liner gloves.
- Lightweight wool or fleece gloves
- Cotton socks (optional)
- Hiking Boots
- Trainers (Trekking shoes/sandals)
- Hiking/Thermal Socks
- Small roll of repair tape and Sewing-repair kit
- Cigarette lighter and Small box of matches
- Compass or GPS(optional)
- Alarm clock/watch
- Large Ziplock
- Small folding knife
- Binoculars (optional)
- Large, waterproof, disposable rubbish sacks
- Small Locks
- Trekking Towel
Toiletries/ Medical Items
- Toothbrush/paste (preferably biodegradable)
- Multi-purpose soap (preferably biodegradable)
- Nail clippers
- Face and body moisturiser
- Female hygiene products
- Small mirror
- Wet wipes (baby wipes)/Tissue /Toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial hand wash
- Isotonic Powder
- General Medications (Including Anti-diarrhea pills, Anti-headache pills, Cough and/or cold medicine, Stomach antibiotic)
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Blister Plasters
- Camera/Video Camera/Extra Batteries/ Extra Chargers
- Notebook/Journal and Pen (optional)
- Playing Cards/Book/Kindle (optional)
- Voltage converter (from 220 to 110)
- Plug adapter (2 round pegs to 2 flat pegs)